Saturday, August 10, 2019

Inspiration


I was daydreaming probably, best way to escape mountains of office work

I like to read and I enjoy a good story and I kind of have stories I associate with places- helps me gain more insight into places I am visiting….



Anyway I thought of you guys, interested in our Bengal trip, perhaps you would like to know about some of the stories that stirred me.



Long before I ever thought of a Bengal trip I was mesmerised by

The Hungry Tide by Amitav Ghosh https://amitavghosh.com/thehungrytide.html



There is a fabulous group of Indian origin writers, who write in English, have a wonderful use of the language [ I say this in the sense that they choose words masterfully and with reverence for the tale being told, not just as a vehicle to get an idea across- hope that doesn’t seem barmy?? You know bung in a bit of a poetic feel]  and weave beautiful tales.



Amitav Ghosh is one of my favourites, reading this book years ago created a feel in my for the Sundarbans that I could recognize on my first visit and since. The morning light is mysterious, there is a peaceful air and yet the King of Beasts lurks in the mangroves and he is all powerful, be respectful.




Again a wonderful yarn and an insight into Britain as an empire builder and the way she worked…. This story is very much part of the history of Bengal.

No comments: