Monday, August 12, 2019

Mind Boggling

we all say we know not everything you see on TV is true...and vaguely apply that to the internet and social media too....

but how much do we question what we see and hear, how deep do we apply the questioning.

Just having a week of all levels of understanding being breached.

This TED Talk is unbelievable and yet I believe it... I am just struggling to set some ads on FB for Creative Arts Safaris, it has been 7 or 8 years since I thought of FB ads and wow now you need a degree just to try and sign up.
I was asked if I was political because they could give me a whole other range of options, NOT political so followed through on the questions
I can choose country, area of country, age, sex, interests to direct the ads to.... whilst I can see it helps me get more bang for my buck it does make me feel a little creepy, how do THEY know all this??

anyway one level of creepy for the week....

This TED talk really freaks me out -Democracy is dead??? 

why is there not an enormous hue and cry???? How can someone be standing in front of a sign saying this amazing sports centre was built with EU Funds and say EU does nothing for us, all because of fearful ads on FB.
India uses What'sApp to spread gossip, unsubstantiated, not open to critical questioning and easy to swing uneducated or poorly educated people.
Take a look at this book I was a Troll
The amount of hateful stories that come through WhatsApp is appalling here in India, although something I read recently is that they are refining their techniques. Now they look at electricity usage in poorer areas [ means little education- govt schools only do rote learning, no critical things or analysis of facts or researching projects, just rote learning] if higher electricity usage, probably has an AC, and so a smart phone and so look for number to add to WhatsApp channels to send propaganda too.
Same thing as the FB use in Brexit but even less obvious. 

World over it is happening- use critical thinking!!! Ask questions- is it real or an opinion to hoodwink me.

I've started on a new book written 170 years ago by John Lang
In the Court of The Ranee of Jhansi
She was a hero of the First War of Independence [ the name from The Indian side] 
or more loudly called The Indian Mutiny [ name from Colonial British side, still widely used today in school books]
That was the 1850's and dodgy Big Brother behaviour…. and still not corrected in history books until this day.

The I discovered this link in a reputable paper by a reputable writer- how much did the British Raj take from India?
It happened a long time ago … maybe can't change a lot of it but the first step to making sure it doesn't happen again is acknowledging it and examining it and telling the truth because I would be pretty sure the same things is still happening today but rather than countries being the major perpetrators it is big business and just as much misinformation and sneakiness as ever.

Climate Change.... how much MISinformation has there been in the media? how much do we need to do? who does not want to loose profits if we use less oil/petrol/coal, try alternatives....
we had so much rain, for weeks and weeks that things are moulding not growing....usually not enough rain- Weird

one of those weeks- lots of information BUT important not to close down, try to learn, talk about it, make choices and changes to help in little ways of big ways.

DO SOMETHING


No comments: