Wednesday, December 06, 2023

20 years ago...

My bucket list always has had Paris and Rajasthan at the top 
[ I must admit I have become a bit of a tart and truly have now given my heart to quite a few places] 
but 20 + years ago they were the ones.

I was a Waldorf Steiner Teacher- you stay with the same class through primary school, so when that journey draws to a close it is quite a big letting go.
I had been a single mother for many years and my boys liked to know I was at home when they were with their father, just in case they needed me. For the first time, at end of September school holidays, one said - "You know Mum, we're big enough now, we'll be OK if you want to do something while we are away. You don't have to sit near the phone" 
No mobiles back then- did he imagine I stayed within hearing of the phone? What ever made him feel safe I guess.

Well what a shocker!
So much was changing all at once. 
An important part of parenting is to step back and let them mature but what was I supposed to do? Forever I had been the class teacher and the Mum.
So, you know, freaking out as one might - I thought "Right, DO Something"  and made a mad dash to get a passport, ticket and visa and head off to Rajasthan.
For the first time I had a little money in the bank, couldn't afford Paris but Rajasthan was a possibility.

I really did not have time to draw breath until I sat on the plane in Sydney heading to Delhi. Then I started to cry. 
"What was I thinking?"
No time to plan it all out, I had 3 nights accommodation and lots of time in front of my until I had to be in Mumbai to catch my flight home.

Ohh boy, Delhi was shrouded in winter fog, all dug up putting the metro in- it smelt so different, it was so busy and foreign and such a buzz.

Poking around an amazing 3 weeks unfolded.... the wealth of crafts had me gobsmacked. Wooden blocks and block printing - ohhh wow. I had carved lino to make blocks for years, didn't realise there was a whole world of printing in India- I was in heaven.....

Long story cut short, I met Praveen that trip too.
I decided to base my Masters Exhibition on my experience of India in relationship to Far West NSW....
I won a textile award out of the UK and started travelling to teach textiles, 
I never went back to school teaching....
I regularly exhibited my art
and a group at the textile guild I was a member of said that wanted to come to India and poke around getting their hands on things just like I did.

Well I had always enjoyed excursions as a teacher- loved working out adventures for my class, I could relate to that idea. 
An exciting excursion, get your hands dirty doing things, see some amazing places, eat good food.

Creative Arts Safaris was born and our first tour took off in Feb 2006. 

Rajasthan- A Tactile Textile Tour had all the things I loved in it.... lots of doing stuff- block print, tie and dye.... places, artisans/crafts have been added in, taken out over time.
I moved to India and eventually we had The Stitching Project Workshop... so hands on could get even bigger...

The excursion idea grew, I like the name excursion it suggests you want to learn something, ... old school teachers never die, they just head out on adventures!

Adventures- yes. Step off the edge, live a little.... yes you might want to freak out a little along the way.
I was so surprised when I burst out crying on that first flight thinking
 "OMG what have I done?"

Shake yourself off  and get on with it. 
It will be fine.
Fine and Dandy from my experiences.







 


No comments: