Friday, October 03, 2008

Pushkar- home making

Sunset from my rooftop...feels like you are climbing Mt Everest to get up there!
But it is a lovely place to take a soda with fresh lime juice and sit a while at the end of the day...
out to the left is the beginning of the Thar Desert, if you go that way far enough you would eventually come to the fabled Jaisalmir and then the Pakisthan border...

My first week in residence was ssssoooo noisy each day, as a group made a new road by hand....
this is the follow up crew, finishing edges and spreading sand to protect the new surface...

The view through my front door...
I live in an old hotel so this is the door,
not happy with the lack of privacy I asked if we might build some type of door in?
Not a problem...all built specifically and delivered 1 week later it is currently being installed, a man arrived last night with a sledge hammer and started whacking the plaster off the surrounds and ....well the part I notice is that the kitchen and half the house is covered in masonary dust!
I must admit to not being fond of housework...but have been keeping on top of things, especially here with so many 'visitors' checking us out and what we are doing....
ooohh well when the dust settles [ha, ha... this is India -it is always dusty]
I can start upstairs and swill the steps with water and make a flood to come down through the kitchen, through the sitting area and out the drain.
One thing about a house predominently lined with marble is you just lift things off the floor and sweep water through the lot.
How did I manage with carpet etc back in OZ? Easy mostly I just ignored the dust and kept working, only used candle light when there was visitors for dinner and pay the price when moving out of a huge shock! Did you know that dust can actually build up to knee height in remote corners!!
7.00am and the workman has just arrived to continue pounding and finish off the door...efficient or what!

We don't have a hand drill to put some screws in the hang up a few textiles and pictures on the walls ...the done thing is to call a tradesman and then like Lady Muck I stroll around the house pointing out where the drilling is to be done....I am a girl who is used to doing everything herself!!!!
This is so weird.
Still here is our young man, valiently drilling into the masonary with a wood bit....notice the power plug...We don't have an extension cord so screw holes with limited to the length of the lead...

A visitor to my office...a lot of wildlife passes through the house.
This fellow I caught and put outside...
I have a squirrel in the sitting room, apparently if I coax him with food he will become quiet friendly and assorted sparrows [all boys] that keep their eyes open for any doors left open to rooms with mirrors in so they can go and look at themselves.
Parveen asked how I knew they were boy sparrows, I replied it must be obvious, they are looking at themselves in the Mirror!!
Our men here [especially Rajputs, perhaps] are quiet like peacocks.

No comments: