Saturday, March 14, 2009

Happy Holi!!

Happy Holi!!

Holi is a Hindu Festival that celebrates the triump of Good over evil, the overcoming of death, similar to the Christan stories celebrated at Easter and is held at a similar time, spring time....where the Earth has survived the darkness of winter.
The way Hindus celebrate Holi is a little different to Easter.
first there is the day for visiting the temple and the offering of prayers, then comes the victory celebration and the throwing of coloured powders and flower scented waters...
so much fun!!
The girls [our volunteers Tessa, my ex-student and Larissa- Praveen and I have really enjoyed having them stay and talk of them as our girls]
and I joined Ramsingh to visit some of the children of the Shakti Project and play colours before we went to our hotel to play with all the people, young and old of our neighbourhood.
Praveen was worried we would get attacked if we walked tghrough the streets so sent a friend in a car to ferry us around- very thoughtful as we would have been absoutley soaked if we were out and about.
Here we are, ealry in the piece, just a little coloured...Larissa has been sick but managed to put in a big effort for this special day.
Ramsingh at Pinkie, Priya and Divia's house...can you see the coloured dust flying?





Some of our children and our girls...























Happy Holi!!


Such a good day...and then that night I was setting out for a textile tour in Vietnam, that is when I discovered the pink colour is especially hard to get out....I scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed...by the time I got to Hanoi my face just looked like I had been in the sun to long!
my hands and nails and toes are still rather bright...oh well!
that is Indian life for you...back home it would have been normal.

No comments: