Thursday, December 03, 2009

Big shifts....

The last few days have been pivital!!
I knew something was coming, kept saying to Praveen our place is just around the corner, please go and find it. [in India I can't go out and look, it is not the Indian way....another story]
So we have looked at a few properties in Pushkar, been talking a lot to clarify our plans, building a better picture of Our Pukka Place- Studio the guest house/ workshop/ taeching place/ studio we want to create, getting The Stitching Project moving along, many, many, many things all connected to our hope and dreams...and we had the added excitment of a few visitors for a few days...
It all started on 30 November, 2009 when we [Praveen had made inital contact the day before] went to a small village only 2 km from Pushkar to see some ladies who were possibily going to stitch for us- first the sample piece is on the right track, and she was keen in all the right ways,
second the village is it!! for us, the place to build our own home and workshop facility [Praveen is in a little shock about moving to a village- it is the type of place his family moved away from to go to Delhi]- it is poor, but not depressed, if that makes sense, pride is still there, our project will certainly make an impact bringing income into the village- it is very clean especially by Indian standards and charming.
Our first meeting, our friend Panalal is helping as he grew up in this village and can speak the local dialect....

We already had a lovely Dutch couple staying with us Peter and Yvonne, they had got married from our house here in Pushkar last year, and the The Elephant and Marion Gorr [famed for many things one of which is Beautiful Silks] arrived.
Marion I have known for many years, one of those things that has felt like a friendship even though we have only really only had the briefest of times together passing like ships in the night at various textile events.
Well a few days confirms all the things I knew- she is a fabulous and inspiring person, I truely wish some distances were smaller as bathing in the glow of her outlook on life is a treat...and we are making different plots and plans together so I know I will be so lucky again!! And we met her charming husband The Elephant...ah a lovely time....

first wandering up through the market in Pushkar and meeting some people I know
Ashok a local gentleman with a passion and welth of knowledge for textiles let us poke through his shop...
look at these photos...they are a few of a whole sequence- one of those moments being when you feel like a fly on the wall and watching a small scene unfold in front of your very eyes....Marion is photographing a small detail on the garment he is holding, she snaps, takes a step closer, snaps again...takes a step closer.. 2 or 3 times...I am just thinking oooh if she does this much more she is going to poking the camera into him!!, Can you see Ashok's face it is just dawning on him as a possibility as well....he is too polite to say push off lady yet I am sure is thinking eekkk!!! how do I warn her....
and then the smile as she steps back...
such a simple momnet but some how priceless to watch it unfold -just for my amusement and appreciattion....

Here is the Elephant wanding around in my village, we took Marion and the Elephant with us when we went to see how things were shaping up....and for us it was great to have experienced people like them to bouce ideas off: really to sit at their feet and learn....I know they will always be gurus for us. I feel so grateful :)

Marion soon had a troop interested
Overnight, many other family members have become involved, no lauguage in common just a needle and hands- this was the most stimulating conversation....Panalal was there to help but we did surprisingly well....They are onto it, can see what I am aiming at and perpred to take it on- Yippee!, can I say that loud enough and cheerfully enough to express my heart? I don't know...but I can feel things lining up, moving forward for all of us.....may this upsurge in energies be entering oyur lives as well...it is a great feeling....now I have to get going I need to get things sorted out for The Stitching Project to meet is first order.....a mere 40 kg od stitched bits and pieces....I am sure you will hear various details as the weeks unfold and we sort out all the things that need to be done along the journey.
This is Women Stitching New Trails, and I am sure will involve new Women's Stitching Tales as well
A lovely photo of lovely people, they seem to embody how I felt at that moment as well...replete after a good day, happy, relaxed but can you also see the wheels turning? ideas, hopes and possibilities-
Two very inspiring people we are lucky enough to call friends.






2 comments:

Alison said...

Hi Fiona - sounds as though things are working out - are you going to LIVE in a village? I think i'll have to come back and see you in a year or two?
Alison

Paula said...

Wow, I can't express how exciting that all sounds. What fabulous progress for you, and so well earnt. You and the universe are working together to acheive your goals - and that's so inspirational for others who are also passionate about textiles and sound social values.

Can't wait to experience your excitement and see it all in person when I arrive in Pushkar. Not long to go...