Tuesday, February 23, 2010

inspired by Julie and Julia- eggplant sambal


I really enjoyed the movie Julie and Julia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julie_&_Julia
life is tres busy at the moment
yes also tres exciting but ssssssssssssooooooooo busy
Cooking a nice meal in the evening is relaxing and it stops me from doing, doing, doing [well yes I know it is a doing.... but not in the same stress catagory as other things]
it is also a time to keep exploring the wealth of recipes I have collected from the different regions of India....we are going to eat our way around the country!!
Praveen and Zac are happy with that idea.
here is the first offering...want ot add to it at least weekly
Eggplant Sambal
a sambal is kind of a salad or dip idea from the South,
this would be an excellent dip with khaghara an Indian crispbread, or crackers...or good as a side dish with a meal.
As always I modified to suit what I have and the way I like to cook as I go along....
250 gm eggplant- cut and salt, leave 20 minutes then wash well and dry.
2-3 Tablespoons olive oil [not authenticaaly Indian but tastes great]
1/2 teaspoon tumeric and eggplant- saute till nice and soft
turn into a bowl
add about 3 tablespoons lemon or lime juice -you'll need to taste it for the right amount
2 red chilli, finely chopped [I only had dried, so crumbeled them through but the sweet and firey freshness of red chillis would be even better]
1 small onion, finely chopped
4 tablespoons yoghurt
small handfull chopped corriander [could even add parsly and chives actaully- again not authentically Indian but would work well]



No comments: