Sunday, July 04, 2010

You know having a good idea can be exhausting!!

It is all very well having a good idea!...and I do love to have them....but then the resposibility to this blessing is to perfect it and put it into action.....and that can be just plain hard work!!
I wanted to create work here in Pushkar- for me so I can stay home a lot more and for locals as they could really do with the extra income....
great idea....
I love dreaming up things, so that was no problem...chewed over what was available locally, what skill base do we have...what might our potential clients like to purcahse...a million questions- all very enjoyable to think about....
then came the real work!
setting up systems of supply to get the materials to work with,
getting the product perfected so it is of a good quality and consistant- educating people about necessity of said quality....
having an understanding of how long it will take to be ready
etc, etc, etc. really it all equals hard work!!!
then you have to present said items-
I never realised packaging could ask so many questions of you??
but I think I now have that sorted....
I am selling some things on etsy
and now the really scary bit - looking for clients to stock our products in their shops.
I already have one shop in the Hunter Valley, NSW Australia, but I need more.
Robyn of Luckystone Studios in New York State has Pukka Squares http://www.luckystonestudio.com/
as does Marion of Beautiful Silks in Melbourne http://www.workshops.beautifulsilks.com/

Do let me know if you have any more suggestions or leads-
whew! here are some pics of what I was doing yesterday in 45'C heat- sitting under a fan, very careful not to sweat into the packets....


Might not have a lot of time to do thngs creative myself at the moment...[well I am stitching on my Story Cloth in the evenings] it was fun to be able to 'play' with silks and assemble groupings....
 writing labels, then trying to get a programme on the computer to sit right so they will print properly...computer does not like the heat either!
Packing, packing, packing!!!
we have

  • Sari and Sparkle Kits

  • Silk Chennile Kits

  • Hand Blockprint packs- 4 fat quarters colour co-ordinated

  • Blockprint Co-ordinates- plain colours and a few sparkles to set your block prints off, same quality fabric as the printed ones in lovely Indian strong colours.

  • Pukka Squares -1.  the large 30cm x 30 cm square ....................................................................... 2. small squares 7.5 cm x 7.5 cm .................................................................................................. 3.strips 30 cm x 7.5 cm

  • Indian handmade buttons
Off to the grind stone- a quick wizz around hotels to see everything is OK, more bookwork to be given to my assistant [yippee!! I was not good at delegating before but I am getting the hang of it!!] and back to packing and protoypes....
plus doing the costing research on a range of hand stitched silk items for a special client....
busy, busy!
we had our first thunderstorm of the monsoon last night and may there be many more.
it is still hot today but a definite improvement on yesterday! another yippee!!!!

No comments: