Sunday, February 27, 2011

samples, samples and more ideas

Had a bit of a creative splurge in the last few days....my Stitching Ladies are working well, good! but a huge pressure to keep the work up to them. I have had some ideas in the back of my mind for a while and been a little frustrated not to be getting them worked on, but everything has its own time frame and now seems to be the time for those ideas to spew forth [tried to think of another more polite word....but that is the one that is right]
I am feeling a bit pressured....elctricity has been trembling on and off the last few days so you have to work like a maniac when it comes on....sewing machine only runs on slow because it is so weak....and then stop all of a sudden mid stitch....
It is hard some days as the designer, one constantly askes one self how original is this idea, what is mine, what is inspired by some one elses's work...where do I draw the line, how much difference does there need to be between this and that other work? Other people are coming to me for work...often we discuss things a lot, this has an influence on me...and I think/ know my ideas have an influence on them...nerve wracking because it can become a blurry area of whose idea is it?
One of our clients sends me pictures of what he wants and we translate that into cloth- no real input from me....easy and clear...most everyone else I brainstorm a lot with.....
Hard to make a decision some times....a lady from Spain has asked me to make up some samples for her....no problem, she likes a few of them to be reversible, easy peeasy....then that idea got stuck in my mind....so these jackets I have been working on in stitch started to need to be reversible....well they didn't really but it would be lovely if they were.....going to sleep last night I think I worked it out .
Flat seems- yes!
The jackets are simples designs so far....all based on squares [scarves in different shapes] I know my stiching ladies are fine with this....I have a shaped jacket in mind next but need to work up to it because it will take a bit more understanding on the stitchers part .....a cropped jacket -kimino shape- tight hand stitch will give it a lovely texture, and next a  longer floaty one with a wider longer stitch....

 Old curtains from the hotel make a good pattern....so I can pin it on and see how it will sit
 and then there is this bag I bought in Vietnam- it is the best bag for carrying things- holds a lot and no square corners to snag on people in a busy market.....
and  so a bag based on the designs that I have on my table cloth and napkins in lovely khadi.....want to do some of these soon to sell- both bags and tablecloths/ napkins.....whew speeding along


 the gusset I chenilled in khadi....think next time will just have the biscuit coloured khadi....the chnille will probably be too much....still this first one is for me and gives me a chance to sort out details
 handle choices, I am opting for the one above- lots of hand stitch on it and not a s heavy looking as the biscuit khadi one.....
life is full of choices....just got to keep going and see where they lead you....then modify as necessary for next time around.....

No comments: