Wednesday, December 12, 2012

stitch time...

Been sitting and stitching a bit lately- ohh yeh!!

After the last few weeks of major website, tours paperwork and other such office jobs it is soooooo

sooooo nice to have time to sit and stitch.

Whilst my hands are fruitfully employed my mind can dance and wander, muse over this and that, perhaps silently abuse this or that, then work at clearing the air, think, plan and just plain daydream....whilst the hands are fruitfully engaged true to my Grandmother Charlton's ways

[always much love for ya Nan :)]

Website work is very slow...so in between I have been doing a bit of internet trawling as well [something I rarely have time for] and what a mindful of stimulation there is to be found.

After the conference at Ahmedabad- lots to think about what we do, how we do it, WHY...are we just crazy? we drifted into having a stitching workshop really- there was not a morning sometime before I/we ever woke up and thought let that be our new baby....but I suppose it is like parenthood- often an unexpected surprise that you grow to love and couldn't do with out once you have it....

I love the opportunity to be an applied artist/ designer, I love having other people who will actualise my designs if I approach it with patience and perseverance.

I like being intimately connected to the whole process from start to finish and basically knowing EVERY person involved in the production of a piece from cotton boll to last stitch and packing.

Using hand spun, hand woven fabric

-creates work in a poor, poor, poor rural area

- environmentally friendly- no electricity in production,

-produced close to us so minimal transport until it is heading off to you....

There is a whole world of dedicated people out there trying to bring fairness to textile production, recognition for the people who actually do the work you later enjoy, who try to educate, inspire, advocate for a fairer and more open process...

I am a little person living out in the sticks in India [that is wayyyyyyyy way out there in so many ways] and yet I am a tiny part in that big wide world and like to feel a part of what is happening.

The internet may be slow here but it is such a useful tool.

So here are a list of links that have caught my eye recently- educational, inspiring and great eye candy encompassed.

· Slow Design, the concept of ethics in fashion and design in general- start with a definition http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slow_design

· the name of this blog caught my eye sometime ago and it is such a treasure trove of stimulating link http://www.loveandthrift.com/

· it was written by this woman who has now moved onto this blog http://claravuletich.com/ interesting things she is involved with- go girl.

· This is a blog and person to follow Abigail Doan- what I have read so far is stimulating...must admit the images she puts up is what I latched onto first but what I read feels good to, this is what she has to say in her ABOUT page

What constitutes the good life? It’s a question we’ve asked ourselves since the dawn of time and something we all strive for. To us, the good life is not a destination but a journey. We want to see more positivity in the world. Thinking happy thoughts makes for happy people, and happy people are more productive, innovative and at peace with the world. We believe in the transformative power of good news. We know that it’s possible to create a world where we all can live the good life, without causing harm to the planet and those who share it with us. Why? Because we’re constantly discovering people and companies working toward a greater good. Our mission is to spread the word and give you the tools you need to live consciously and sustainably. When you have the right attitude and the right information it is easy being green. We want to share with you a positive, enthusiastic vision of a future that is both sustainable and achievable. Through thoughtful exploration and discussion we want to help you consider your daily choices, reconsider assumptions, pose questions, uncover opportunities and, most of all, make you think about what it means to be a Goodlifer.

This article was my introduction to her blog- stimulating http://www.goodlifer.com/2010/02/found-textiles-and-biodiversity/

· This is possibly where the term Slow Design was coined....lots more to read here http://www.slowlab.net/

· this magazine looks stimulating as well http://www.handeyemagazine.com/

A lot of these links are to thinkers in a way

here is a woman who has made it as a business model, producing all her work by hand, it seems some even from organic cotton she has grown...love her work, her philosophy and connection to her work , her home, her community, very inspiring. http://www.alabamachanin.com/ I received a copy of one of her books yesterday band I must admit devouring it, reading her thoughts, looking at the way she works made me feel like a kid on a sugar high!!

 
What have I been doing- stitching small dots [or bindi they are called here but as an Australian I immediately think of prickles in my feet in summer!]
 next time I need to dust the fabric off before doing close up!
To make a Dotty Bag or Bindi Bag- black/ unbleached white heavy weight handloom with block print, hand stitched feature...love the geometry of this bag...little white dot is on the outside of where there is a pocket inside for your phone- clever and helpful I thought [well I find it so on my sample I have been trialling :)]

hard to take a picture and hold a bag at once....

Ages ago I found this quote- explaining production philosophy of Cabbages and Roses...still the best thing to read at the start of the day

We cherish quality and individuality. We aim to run our business in the kindest way possible, with the best quality of product and with the best treatment of the people involved in the provenance of the product; from beginning to end. Quality, uniqueness and fair prices paid to all our suppliers are reflected in our prices. http://www.cabbagesandroses.com/our-history

When I was about 13 or 14 I heard about Sartre for the first time, and i wrote this quote in the notebook I had I used to copy thoughts and poetry into.

Do, and in doing, become still my most inspiring quote of all time...it is not what you think about, it is what you actually do they creates the world we are going to be living in tomorrow...

second most favourite quote or at least one I found later

Be the change you want to see in the world

thank you Gandhi.

and now back to stitching, enough soap box standing I need to do something... :)

 

No comments: