Friday, May 31, 2019

Quick visits

I have been there and now back again,
and it seems as quick as it took to type this note.

It was lovely though, the light in Australia in May is magical
and fresh air
and blue skies
what a luxury.

We had a huge dust storm 2 days before I left and I got a face full trying to force my lounge doors closed in the middle of the night. It really set my asthma off so travelling to Delhi and onto Perth I was stumbling along like an ancient.
Blue skies and fresh air though and a few days I was right as rain. Lovely feeling in itself.


I was invited to be the guest artist at The Perth Craft and Quilt Show
They looked after me very well,
I was asked to tell my story of how I came to be living out in the sticks in India and how Praveen and I came to start The Stitching Project.
I couldn't believe how tired I was each day talking, talking and talking. Many people were very interested to hear our stories.

We are all the same, it is just circumstances that vary- I think telling stories like this allows people to make little connections and hopefully appreciate the lucky life they have in a country with very good living conditions, equality of the sexes, many opportunities in work,  leisure and social situations.

I am also happy to be a proud Mama and talk about the progress our people have made in learning and working in our workshop.
Literacy is not high in our area, traditional life and lack of experience means people are loath to take on challenges and responsibilities.

Now we have a team who by and large are doing just that and our workshop is starting to be a well oiled machine.

You can't imagine how happy I am to say and feel that.
The last year or so the struggle to keep everything running smoothly has been immense.
I wondered if I would crumble under the weight.
Changes in a few key personal, more junior members of staff stepping up and taking the big leap from a failing paper based system onto the use of tablets and a willingness and lack of fear of tablets verses writing on paper and HERE WE ARE.

AMAZING!!!
and I do love to tell people about it.
Another good thing is, even when I am away we can use the online tablet system and what'sapp on the phone and we are in communication, work does not slow down, which really did happen before.....
and I am asked less silly questions because people are thinking things through and taking initiative.

Yippee
Yipppee

 I do feel a bit dim some days

So many people came up and said they wanted to meet me, they had heard about me.... etc.
I was amazed how could that be, I come for the middle of nowhere, India???

Well- there was a spread in the event magazine and on their website. Haha silly or what?


A huge thanks to my mate Gaelle, she is the rock that organized me and helped every day, I could not have done it with out her.

When I am away I send the gang pictures of where I am .... interesting tourist things like  foreigners trying on our clothes, the ocean had people swooning.
Boy I would like to do a staff field trip to the beach!
Don't know why it is sideways but you get the idea.
My gang like to see the foreigners in their exotic western clothes.
 I joke, you want to dress like that?? 
Lots of giggles no, sari or Rajasthan skirt and veil are much more beautiful but it is interesting to see them.

Happy Home Coming

No comments: