Friday, December 02, 2022

Moorish Moroccan Salads

Sometimes you travel via your palette.
I often cook, chasing memories of meals I have experienced or flavours that have crossed my palette.
In Morocco, it is hard to get into people's kitchens. The guest is special and must relax whilst a feast is prepared. 
At my riad in Marrakech, I managed one year to be allowed to chop vegetables and 'help' the women. 
I remember the smell of roasting Capsicum over a flame.
Then, the wonderful salad we made combining it with preserved lemons and other things.
Hmmmm

The weather is warming up and it is time to get our salads going.
When you think of Morocco you probably think couscous or tagines, the real treat though is their
fantastic fresh salads. Each meal starts with a salad of some kind before you have a meat dish- or
Couscous on Friday [ like a Sunday roast special idea], then finished with fruit.
The simplest is a mix of fresh chopped vegetables and a squeeze of lemon juice but there are a
whole range of more complex mixed salads.
Here is a favourite- it uses those preserved lemons I put a way
in lemon season. Last time I made it I
used some of my broad bean crop [fresh broad beans- steam them in a little water, splash of olive oil,
garlic and thyme to heighten their flavour] or use cooked butter beans or borlotti.
Roasted Peppers and bean salad with preserved lemons.
Red capsicum- char them over a flame or in the oven until all gnarly and black on the outside, let
them sit under a tea towel to cool down, then rub the black charred skin off and you have luscious
roasted red capsicum- cut it into strips. Heap it on a plate, add cooked beans and make a dressing
from fine diced preserved lemon, garlic, lots of parsley, olive oil and lemon juice. Sumptuous and
refreshing with the bright pops of preserved lemons.
The garden is starting to produce a summer feast, we need lots of recipes to honour its’ bounty.
Feel free to contact me if you have questions Fiona fiona@creative-arts-safaris
Or daydream Morocco with me

No comments: