Sunday, December 24, 2023

Got to Fly!

 A bit of a ramble below, but read through

Ideas to save on flights is in there!

I had dinner yesterday with mates that I have hung out with since 1980. It was such a buzz to meet them, then and a pleasure to know them now.
We are not in our day-to-day lives anymore, yet through catch ups every so often we are still in each others lives, and it is great.
So many layers have been peeled off over the years, it is a safe place to talk about any and everything.... and then talk crazy and laugh our heads off.
I am truly lucky.

Two of my mates, who never seem to do social media, got right into coming with me as I explored Uzbekistan. So I got to oooh and ahh over what a stunning place it is. 😍
A question that I was asked, they want to come join me in April, was how to get there?

That question is a good one, it got me thinking.
I lived in India for years, many things can be a challenge there but flying somewhere was easy.
So many choices of airlines, and really, most places are far closer than when you live in Oz.
Now I live in Australia, it is a long way to fly anywhere, choices of flights seem much more limited AND often the price is a headache.

It was only when they asked how to get there that I realised there is a bit of a trick to it that others might like to know, too.
Takes a bit of searching but good to know.
It is what I generally do, so I had not thought much about it.

I first look on search engines Expedia and Booking.com.
If prices seem fine, I don't make much more effort.

This year though has seen me popping off here and there, and trying to get good flights is a pain.
I wanted to go Sydney- India for 3 days- Ghana[for tour]- Uzbekistan [for a walk through]- India for a week and home to Australia.
Try that in a search engine!! OMG they wanted the shirt off your back.
Looked up Sydney- Ghana-Sydney still a shocker.

Then I looked at Sydney- Delhi return- easy and very reasonable price [long stop over Singapore on return leg]
Fly Delhi- Ghana- OK
Ghana- Uzbekistan with a 12 hr stop over in Istanbul and then onto Delhi.
Worked out cheaper to book ALL these component flights than the first Sydney- Ghana-Sydney ticket quote.

AND
the long stop overs in Istanbul and Singapore are sweet. If you are on Turkish Airlines they will take you on a free trip into town, feed you and sightsee. Anytime you can visit the Hagia Sophia is a good day.
Singapore offers visa free days if you have an onward ticket- trundle through the exit and onto a train [use credit card to swipe a ticket- no fiddling] and have a little adventure. 

Since then I did a bit of a search for Sydney to Uzbekistan tickets- very interesting.

First search on Expedia, and Booking.com was similar. Around Au$3000
Then [I am using the apps on my phone] I broke the journey down Sydney -Delhi return AND Delhi-Tashkent return. Price came in around Au$2000 on both search engines.
A stop over in Delhi is fine- I have people to visit and the sightseeing is great.
eVisa needed- all online and US$25. 
---Red Fort is the place to go for a day trip- great old monument, wonderful galleries and Craft Centre opened in the old barracks- it is really becoming a great place to visit.

Curious I took a look at Skyscanner
Prices came in around best I could find as a combo.
Skyscanner only compares prices then directs you to sites that do flight bookings.

To be thorough I looked up Kayak.com too [I don't like them, when I have looked at them in the past I seemed to get fiddled around]

 
The really interesting thing is
I can back to Expedia & Booking.com on my phone this morning
Expedia still same price BUT booking.com offered this option

Look at the price. It was not their offer yesterday. 

This makes me feel like BIG BROTHER is watching my phone activity- play creepy music- seriously!

but for once it seems in my favour.

Notice the latest off has SELF Transfer
What does that mean?
I like that, when I organize flights to connect up on a journey I usually allow a day or two at the transfer point so I don't need to worry about late arrivals.....
This says the booking service wants to make sure you connect. Sounds Good to me.

ALWAYS have comprehensive travel insurance, as well.


The Hagia Sophia is a stunning space, the true gift of this visit was the feeling in the space. So many people of all persuasions in the one place with their hearts singing to be there.
So beautiful.
May you year be blessed with that feeling of love and connection








No comments: