Sunday, March 31, 2024

soul searching...

Sounds a bit dramatic....
More like digging into what brings me joy and what can I do to spread joy.

I started this blog as I was leaving Australia end of January 2024. I was leaving on a jaunt that included two Indian tours, a research interlude and onto Vietnam. 

My question to myself was how to better utilise all my years of research, how to better support all my friends along the road with more visits?
What could I do to spread the research, spread the love and connections and give it a future not solely based on me?

Nothing wrong with me.
My passion to travel and share all the wonderful people and places I know is stronger and more focussed and more satisfying than it has been for a long, long time.
This is mostly because I can now make it my main focus, and do sensible things like spending heaps of time in my garden and hanging out with my grandkids as downtime.

Organising my tours to run smoothly and let me mostly cruise with my group does take a huge effort in the time I am at home to set it all up.
Garden and grandkids ground it out wonderfully.

So my question to myself, for a while, has been how can I replicate me on the road?
Really the paperwork side, lists, lists and details as mentioned on those lists can be picked up by a capable someone.
Some tours have a lot of me included in them, some tours I am a host, I add value to the trip but it is our Tutor who us the focus.

Hmmmm?

Interesting observation. 
With the right support and some experience and everything in place like it is already before I leave home, a special someone could fill the shoes of tour host, look after all the details that arise on the road and support a tutor to lead a travelling style workshop.

ZING!!! An idea that could work. Sounds simple but it took a lot of scratching my head to hit that jackpot and feel in my gut I had a winner idea.

Next to action it. 
How do you find someone who has experience with the ups and downs of travel, is resourceful, has the observation and people skills to look after a group. For the host, it looks like you cruise and often you do,  but group harmony is a delicate flower to be nurtured. It takes observation and kindness or ferociousness some days to let it blossom.

Gosh how to find the right person?
Lots would volunteer and whilst it sounds a dream opportunity it takes grit to make it all work and hopefully appear effortless.
A bit of a quandary....
I put it to the side a while, then it hit me as I was leaving Oz, my mate Megan was the person to ask.

I have known her since we shared an apartment block in 1980. 
She had worked in travel- at a desk, corporate, management and teaching at TAFE over the years, then went on to HR corporate stuff- I don't really grasp the perplexities of, if I am truthful😊. Seemed intense sometimes. 

If anyone would know where to look for my 'person extraordinaire' she would know where to look.

In my mind I wanted experience and a passion for travel- on the ground hoofing it type stuff, good with people and resourceful. She asked a whole heap of questions to help me classify the picture and give her a sense of who I was looking for.
Then
I got a note.  She would like to apply to be my new travel host.

Ohh wow. 
I have my person to work with me to be a Tour Host.
On to many new adventures at Creative Arts Safaris
Hanging out with mates in 2020


Megan in the 80's
I was her bride's maid!!

No comments: