Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Romanian Experience

Our tour to Romania was great, after such a long delay between initial walk through and our first trip [thank you covid] I was a touch nervous about how it would all go.
Well fantastic is the word I would use.
We received such a warm welcome and it is just so beautiful you feel like you are in an enchanted story.
Roses, deep vibrant red roses and poppies bloom everywhere.
Meet Anca, we have been chatting via the ethers for ages- it was such a delight to meet up, hang out, take a road trip to search up a few leads before the tour AND plan for her to work with us in the future.


The shade of green of European forests and trees is so vivid to Australian eyes used to the olive tones of Australia,  I left me wanting to just gaze at the trees. I am sure the Japanese have a name for soaking up the peace of the forest. Translates to forest bathing? Perhaps I just am drunk on green and prone to flights of fantasy.
Schiller Square in Sibiu. Sibiu is famous for its Eyes- they watch you everywhere.... the Old Town is quite small and gorgeous to wander, it feels like every corner brings up something new and charming.

Linden or European Lime Trees were in blossom everywhere- such a sweet perfume to enhance our travels. Look at that photo- I took it and it looks magical to my eye. Locals were collecting the flowers to make tea.
The honey produced from these flowers is the most prized one in Romania.

2019 was my walk through, I met a social group in Bucharest who met weekly to stitch Romanian blouses. What I didn't know about was the effort going into getting the Romanian Blouse inscribed on the World Heritage List.
The success of that in 2022 has really buoyed local enthusiasm. 
I saw many more women in traditional blouses than last time. Many younger people are stitching themselves one.
We spent time sitting in a garden, working on a sample. Trying it yourself , really builds your appreciation of the time and effort that goes into that embroidery.
Anca, our teacher was patients and encouraging- dressed in one outfit from her collection of traditional costumes gave a great chance to look closely and take photos when we were distracted from stitching- haha. It was a fun day.
Look at the fine embroidery on her sleeves!


Driving along a country road we met two delightful girls heading to a school event. Our driver Sorin, asked if they world mind if we flocked around them to admire the outfits.
They were happy and all smiles to let us photograph them and they told us they had stitched everything themselves,  Grandma had helped with direction but it was all their work.  Wonderful. 
So many thing we came across that felt magical.
Check out this Monastery that Anca and I came across on our Road Trip- perfect for a lunch break and sketch for our Travel Sketching Romania Tour with Susan Yeates next year.
 


I must admit it is not hard to find a beautiful painted Romanian Orthodox Church, but this one was quite a beauty. Loved the wild devils near the front door.

Other treats were fairy tale type castles

On our road trip we met Christine, her business is the last business raising silk worms and producing silk veils and blouses in Romania.

 We turned up unannounced and she kindly showed us everything and then was a wonderful host to my group. Special.



Have you ever read "The Darling Buds of May" by HE Bates- all about bucolic bliss.... summertime in Romania has that type of feel.
We joined the Shepherds in Maramures for dinner one evening- I can't imagine anything more delightful.
the sun was golden, the fields green, only men milk so we watched. 
then we sat under a plum tree and feasted. Freshly made cheese, bread, salad followed by a Shepherd's stew, local wine and home made afinata- alcohol flavoured with mountain picked blueberries.
Glorious!




I am rambling here, this is just a small story about a place I truly look forward to exploring further.
I have a few new inclusions for next year and am just putting the finishing touches of Romanian Ramble 2025.
Sign up for the newsletter to be kept in the loop.

I must admit COVID really knocked me around, I wondered if I would lead tours again and I am so glad I persisted. This year and last year has been fantastic.

So many places to experience, people to meet, creative ideas to explore.

No comments: