Friday, July 19, 2024

The best things I found in Istanbul: cats and other surprises.

I've popped by Istanbul a few times over the years, stop overs as I was heading here or there....
The history surrounding the place, the Bosporus where east meets west.....the layers of civilizations, those walls that are still standing.
Reading Orhan Pamuk,  Elif Shafak , Richard Fidler all set off my curiosity and as I was passing again, I decided to stay a while.

What a pleasure.
It takes time to grasp some things you may have noticed in passing and after repeat exposure you realise it is a 'thing'.

Disclaimer - I am not a crazy cat person, generally - let me say BUT they think they own the town and you are welcome to visit. As long as the food is out and you don't block their sun!!

The cats.... they live in Istanbul, the people of the city look after them. Most houses have cat and/or dog bowls out the front to feed who ever wanders by hungry.

It is a crazy cat kind of town!

It was interesting this big fat, fluffy fellow was lying in the sun and a tourist came by and went to stroke him. The look on the cat's face. He owns the street he is not there to make friends with mere people! They're not domestic they are town cats. He raised his claws and warned the guy to back off, then went back to sleep. You could almost hear the cat saying "The nerve of that guy, disturbing me" 

The Museum of Innocence

I saw this on the map and just fitted in a visit as an indulgence for me- I love his writing. 
Wow it was not just a visit be a real EXPERIENCE. It left a lovely feel in my heart that still rings now as I think about it.
There is a story, based on real people, there is a lot to think about in the story itself but to then see the embodiment of the story, listen to someone talking on your headset makes it so much more personal.
Extraordinary as a concept, a novel, performance art , themes of love, loss, holding on to think about.
I'm gabbling a little- it is all still swirling in me- mind and heart.





A case for each chapter of the book


Istanbul is a wanderers delight. Walking and learning to use their fabulous public transport system is the way to get around- it also creates an intimate experience of everyday life, and the opportunity to see what is around the corner that you don't get on tourist oriented transport modes.

First lesson when we take guests will be how to get around using public transport and how to miss the hill climbs!
I would google where something was- it would be quite close and MRS GOOGLE would say "Mostly flat" how I came to dread those words- many of the mostly flat paths she suggested would give a Mountain Goat pause. The trick is to be heading downhill.... at the bottom of any hills you could find a tram or funicular railway that would take you back up again.

Thanks to Orhan, I knew what these houses were and felt nostalgic to find this suburb along the Bosporus where many of the beautiful classic wooden mansions of Istanbul have been renovated. He talks of them as memories from his youth and is saddened to see many disappearing.
Beautiful and I think somewhere our sketching groups will enjoy
I read of them described as Ottoman traditional Wooden mansions with Art Nouveau flourishes, sounds about right.
Streets are narrow so the angle is often tight when viewing.

Looking for some love- look at that wisteria creeping up the side- wouldn't it have been spectacular a few weeks ago?

Check out my Instagram or Facebook back in June, there are some many great impressions.

The balloons of Cappadocia were are really uplifting experience- haha- get it?

and simple things like wandering the back streets so interesting..... once I had coped with Mrs Google's mostly flat 😜
Working class Balat- often photographed- another great area to wander
lots of cafes, second hand shops and interesting streets to poke around.

These are just some of the more local things- all those must see sites are spectacular but there are so many layers to explore.
Also found a great flew market- old treasures but a distinctly different twist to what you might find in other countries.

these canisters? Document files? had me quite baffled, they are quite heavy, it was only when a gentleman explained it that I could see what they are.
They open up and a handle comes out from inside and in goes coffee beans to grind your coffee fresh for Turkish Coffee! 
Never seen one of those before. 
A delight of travelling- there is always something new.
Looking forward to heading back to Istanbul next year- it will be a great source of inspiration to us on a Creative Textile Adventure and the scene for a wonderful Travel Sketching jaunt.
Check our Calendar to join the fun. 


No comments: