Saturday, August 09, 2014

books and stuff...

 Rakhi is tomorrow- a Hindu festival that celebrates the Brother /Sister bond...and it has really speeded up things....our Block guy got finished a few days early and has been on the phone COME NOW and pick up your big order of blocks...we have to go to the village for Rakhi they said...come quick.
All our ladies have been stitching like crazy [ and very nicely] and it has been a bustle this morning of women dropping off work and getting paid to go and buy presents.....
Ladies all dressed up- all a a sparkle with bling bangles etc.
I have had to point out to Praveen how many they have and how few I have....won't hold my breath for him to get the hint, haha.
 On our way back from block man Mr Jujartram and dropping off a rather large order for indigo to Mr Rambabu0ji and his son Kuldeep we dropped into the old textile market at Kishangarh....it is a spectacular enclave built by the Maharaja of Kishangarh about 100 years ago to create trade opportunities in his town...feels a bit like a place time forgot.
 I hate to ask...but all has gone quite upstairs...floors are ground back and polish is being applied, painting is almost finished...if the sun ever shines again [4 days of overcast and rain I am suffering that SAD, perhaps it is MAD syndrome from lack of sun] print tables will be made....
above quilt room, ohh and need glass for windows,,,
 yippee!! print room
 a divider has to go up and this end becomes our design studio/office....just me and my man!!
garden is starting to look pleasant again and this rain will certainly bring grass again, a lawn in no time.
I am madly stitching samples to send off with the courier....but I actually have enough space in the side of my mind to start thinking of our Book Project.
we have a lovely nestegg sitting waiting for something to happen, it does cause me a smidgeon of guilt but not much because I simply have not had time to allow it to grow.
Right, we have funds, we have papers in front of us for the necessary to set up a Charitable Trust...we need a few answers.
Name??
Motto
Mission statement.....
Friends of our worked or at least told us about Big Brother Mouse and we gain much inspiration from them...we want a mobile library- if books are all packed into crates we can take them from school to school on a weekly basis....
I had a rather difficult childhood, 13 primary schools does not suggest the most stable time....my father used to drink, my mother wait in the car and have a tipple and we sat there until closing times many nights a week.
For 12 months or so we lived in Wallsend and across the road was the library...it was free baby sitting for my mother to drop us there and from that time aged about 7 or 8years old books have been a source of pleasure, escape,  information and later a road to some semblance of sanity. I figure if you can read, you could learn and the world becomes a lot more available to you. You are better able to create your own destiny.
 Praveen never really went to school, for him opening a book is a bit scary but over time he has come to see what inspiration we have from some of our design books, all the ideas we get from our travel books, what fun his kids get from the books we buy them [ and since he met me and we first spoke of education and how to encourage his kids he has made every effort to encourage them to dive into education]
Can I brag a minute,  Preeti his biggest girl has just enrolled in a degree course to become a teacher, she has been at Uni 2 years now starting in a non-degree course and done well enough to move onto a bigger pond.  We are so proud of her. 10 years ago her outlook was finishing school at 16....
Here books are so rare, only tattered text books and painful to wade through...a good story or nice picture books are a whole different idea...

So we are wading through details for our Reading Project...is that boring? as a name I mean.... I thought before Hope Initiative? ...the Kitab= Book [ marrying Hindi and English in the name]

got to dive back into samples now but we are finally on track with the books and reading idea

OOHh and a small excitement, a month ago we engaged a new office guy...our books were in a terrible state, mostly because the guy we had engaged to do them was rather slack...well it has been a very hectic month in the office...to the point of driving me nuts some days BUT light is here, he has just presented me last months report, files are all maintained, books balance, I can pick up any file and see what is happening for each tour, each supplier, each order...it is such a relief.
I now have to review all costings and the order process for manufacture...but it is looking do-able and so much stress will be off my shoulders, thanks be Ganesha you have been working over time here this month [ the Hindu god Ganesha, remover of Obstacles is one to have on your side]
 

No comments: